Guess what? We made through a whole year. And some of you made it through a whole year of blogging. To that, I say CONGRATULATIONS! That’s no small feat.
But as is usual for the first day of a new year, I’m thinking about the changes to come. I’m thinking about the changes that will happen and the changes that we want to happen. One thing I want is a little bit of change right here in my corner of the blogosphere. Nothing major. Just small, simple, streamlined.
This is the new stream of consciousness SUNDAY. Every week for the next year, we’ll be writing for 5 minutes (sometimes more) and linking up here so we can all feel read and supported, even when it’s our most unstructured thoughts.
The changes? I’m going to be offering a writing prompt. It’s totally optional. I just know that sometimes I do my best writing when someone gives me a little nudge. Give me a topic an I can write. Leave me alone with my thoughts and sometimes I freeze up.
If you want to do your own thing, that’s totally okay. Sometimes we have things that just need to come out. But if you’re stuck? Or you want more of a challenge, you can come here at the start of Sunday (12am ET) and find a prompt.
The rest stays the same. You write for 5 minutes. It’s okay to correct a misspelled word here and there. The main point is not to edit it and not to think too hard while you’re writing it. Open your mind and dump your brain. Good luck!
Today’s Writing Prompt: Write about the things you don’t want to change in 2012
Here we go…
When it comes to New Year’s Day, we always think we have a clean slate. FOr some reason, it’s much easier to start anew on that day than on the day before.
Why is that? I think it’s kind of like a line in the sand. We have a deadline. A day that means we can do it all wrong and not feel any guilt because we know we will change and it will get better if we can just make it to that day.
There are plenty of things I want to change. Like most of you, it has something to do with eating healthier, losing weight, getting more active, yada, yada, yada. And THIS year will be different, right?
There are also plenty of things I don’t want to change and as I reflect on 2011 and head into 2012, that’s what I’m focusing on.
1. I’ve kept up with my writing. I write around 4 times a week here and 2 times a week on Social Dialect. Good job, me 🙂
2. I’ve unintentionally ended up helping quite a few bloggers and I really, really like doing that. I’m no expert but I really love to encourage and support other bloggers.
3. I’m doing a really good job with my son. I can’t take all the credit but he’s smart, personable, usually happy, and growing like a weed. I think I’m doing something right.
4. I’ve become a better cook. We ate at home more and I’m doing a better job of making healthier meals at home. Most of the time.
5. I’m decluttering my life. Just as I go through my entire house to clear out and get ready to sell, I find there is even more than I can live without. I like that. I’m going to keep that up.
My time is up but there you go. Five things I’m doing right and I’ll keep it going in 2012. I’ll worry about the exercise and stuff next week.
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
- Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
- Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
- Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
- Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
- Link up your post below.
- Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.
1. Grab the button
(it’s over in the sidebar)
2. Write your post.
3. Link up here.