I happened to be overwhelmed by my work. Social media is a hobby for me but it’s always my profession, regardless of how much money I make at it. So it’s a choice but not in a normal sense of deciding whether or not I want to do it. I feel like I’m doing some really good things. I just get overwhelmed by it all. Especially on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend.
Today’s Writing Prompt: What feels overwhelming to you right now and how are you coping?
Here we go…
I’ve had moments before of feeling overwhelmed with staying plugged in. Social media, or making a career out of social media, is literally a 24/7 job. You have to improve your voice and build your audience and for the past (almost) 3 years, I’ve loved it. But lately, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.
They say, if you don’t love it, you shouldn’t do it. I think that’s a great motto to live by but it’s not always a realistic one. Sometimes, even the things you love, you just don’t love anymore. Or you don’t love as much. Or you don’t love right now.
And right now, I’m not loving it BECAUSE…
And I think the because is an important part.
1. I am trying to treat it like a fulltime job and since I’ve moved, I’m really a fulltime mom. No preschool, no sitters. Just me and Evan. And my husband is around more to fill in the gaps but I don’t get any dedicated work time like I used to.
2. I moved into a new house and everything is white. The walls are white. I want to hang pictures and buy rugs and paint the walls. Because I love decorating. And I think I love it more than social media. Or at least right now I do. Decorating gives me instant gratification.
3. I’m simply overwhelmed. I take on a lot because I like to do a lot. I like to stay busy and honestly, social media is inspiring. I come up with an idea for a blog almost every single day. Thank god, I don’t implement them. But I’ve always got projects and I’m not good at time management.
Those are my three big reasons. And in my new neighborhood where almost everyone works (unlike Raleigh where the cost of living affords more women to stay home), I sometimes think about how nice it would be to go to work, come home, and just be in the moment.
And then I remember office life and traffic jams and commuting. I’ll make the best of things. I just need to find a better way to make it all work.
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
- Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
- Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
- Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
- Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
- Link up your post below.
- Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.
1. Grab the button
(it’s over in the sidebar)
2. Write your post.
3. Link up here.