I love it when my friends on Facebook throw something out there like, We’re thinking of getting rid of cable and wondering what you use.
First of all, we got rid of cable almost four years ago so you are soooo behind. Second of all, I don’t need to give my opinion because apparently the hundreds of other friends all like to chime in, even if they’re saying something that everyone else has said 50 times.
People like to talk about their viewing habits. But it’s a recent question that came up that made me think about my topic this month.
It was a question that was something like this, Should we go with Hulu or Amazon or Netflix?
I started to type an answer but when I saw 50 other replies just like mine would have been, I stopped and saved it for you. The correct answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE!
The beauty of living in a streaming-only family is that we have lots of options. We’re currently subscribers to Netflix, Amazon (included with our Amazon Prime membership), Hulu, and SlingTV. In addition to that, we also have a HD antenna that I swear we only use when it’s time for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
My point is that these services are all fairly cheap and certainly unique. You’ll find little overlap from one service to another. So it’s not really about making a choice. It’s about making the most of your choices.
Let’s take a closer look at what makes Netflix is so popular.
Lots of Subscribers
- By the end of the year, Netflix is projected to have 69.9 million subscribers, with 43.54 million of them in the United States. That means that about 36% of U.S. homes are now Netflix subscribers.
- We’re not totally sure about that number though because apparently you Canadians have wised up and realized we have more content in the U.S. It’s estimated that 1/3 of Canadian subscribers actually claim to be from the U.S. so they can get more content.
- Feeling out of the loop? Your age matters. 79% of Millennials (who we often refer to as Digital Natives) use Netflix as compared to 38% of Gen Xers (that’s me) and 26% of Baby Boomers. What gives, people? I’ll admit that it’s sometimes hard to teach an old dog new tricks but this is one trick you’ll thank me for.
Raising Content Standards
- If you still think that Netflix is about cheesy movies and reruns of TV shows, you might be right. But they’re also setting the standard with original television series. Shows like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Sense8, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt have helped garner 45 Emmy nominations, 10 Golden Globe nominations, and 2 Academy Award nominations.
- Expect more original content. As major studios are making licensing agreements more and more difficult, Netflix is breaking the mold by continuing to produce outstanding original content, including major motion pictures.
So if you haven’t tried Netflix (whether or not you’re thinking of getting rid of cable), now’s a good time to give it a trial run!
This post was written as part of my role on the Netflix Stream Team. Topics, selections, and all opinions are my own.