The period in between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day is a really weird time of year. The build-up to Christmas has been frenetic and overwhelming and sentimental and festive. And then you wake up Christmas morning and usually within 60 minutes, it’s all over. At least in my house it is.
Luckily, we had dinner plans on Christmas Day at my husband’s aunt’s house. It helped prolong the holiday feeling just a bit. But after Christmas is over, I go into a funk. I call it Christmas Limbo.
Christmas Limbo is kind of like the day after a fancy party. You could do your hair and make up all over again and wear the same fancy party dress but you’ll never quite look as good. The party is over.
What are you supposed to do during that week? Work? On one hand, no, because business is so slow and everyone else takes time off. On the other hand, yes, because why waste a vacation day when no one is there to monitor your productivity?
But Christmas isn’t the only time you run into this uncomfortable limbo. Today, I present my top 10 list of things we just want to get over already. Let’s start with the easy stuff.
1. The time between finding out you’re pregnant and you actually start filling out maternity clothes.
(until such time, you usually just look fat)
2. The time between looking cute in maternity clothes and actually having that damn baby.
(the cuteness wears off and those handicapped parking spaces start looking more and more attractive)
3. The time between nailing an interview and starting a new job.
(you’re stuck between being totally excited and then feeling completely unqualified and then thinking you’ll hate everyone you work with and then a little excited again)
4. The time between ordering your food at a restaurant when you’re STARVING and when your food actually arrives 45 minutes later.
(and you could swear that the couple that just got their food came in 20 minutes AFTER you did)
5. The time between booking your next vacation and, well, the actual vacation.
(doesn’t time seem to magically stretch here?)
6. The time between when your toddler comes home with a stomach flu and then your stomach starts to hurt and then… the inevitable.
(because it is inevitable, you know that, right?)
7. The time between getting brand new carpet and the first christening of said carpet.
(think of child, dog, cat, muddy shoes, red wine, etc.)
8. The time between imagining something careless and stupid happening and then watching it actually happen.
(is it just me or do you visualize yourself opening the can of tomato sauce and having it splash all over your white shirt before it actually happens?)
9. The time between posting your best blog post ever and waiting for a comment, any comment.
(and yes, we know you hit refresh over and over again waiting for the first bite)
10. The time between watching everyone get sick for the holidays and then waiting for it to knock on your door.
(thank you, Christmas cold, for at least waiting until late Christmas Eve to rear your ugly head)
At least when New Year’s Day comes, we know we can take down that Christmas tree and start anew. A new limbo period, that is. Because isn’t it like months until the next major holiday?
Do the limbo with me. What else can you add to my list?