If you want to see the slides from Career Day, here’s the link to my presentation.
What does a career in blogging look like?
No one is simply a “blogger” anymore.
Interchangeable terms: influencer, content creator
Typically, a one-stop shop:
- Graphic design
Who hires you?
- Work directly with brands
- Work with PR agencies
- Work with influencer agencies
- PITCH YOURSELF
How much money do you make?
The better question is how do you make money. How much is up to you…
- Sponsorship – paid, controlled messaging
- Reviews – product, service, and/or compensation
- Press trips – no money (typically) but experience
- Affiliate marketing
- Side hustle – selling products, consulting, ghost writing, freelance writing, freelance photography
How do you get started?
The best part – ZERO barriers to entry
Sharpen your technical skills:
- learn social platforms
- understand video and photo editing
- get skilled in a content management system like Wordpress
- BECOME A GOOD WRITER
Think of building your platform as a means to an end
- where do you want to end up?
- how will your online visibility help you?
Future career paths: author, TV personality, journalist, agency owner, industry, work from home mom/dad
Building Your Skills
Go to college!
Become a good writer and communicator
Study something that will enhance your potential career path
Focus on skills that will translate to another field (not just Professional Instagrammer)
Learn people skills – it’s still very much about networking and who you know
A Cautionary Tale
Your digital footprint starts now!
Nothing is ever private online.
Your history will be unearthed – try googling yourself and going deep!
My Favorite Tools
Wordpress.org for blogging platform
Adobe Lightroom for photo editing
Canva.com for graphic design work
iMovie (for Mac or iPhone) for video editing
GarageBand (for Mac or iPhone) for sound editing)
Facebook for marketing